Mon, 01 Mar 2021

Andy Murray withdraws from Australian Open

Field Level Media
23 Jan 2021, 07:19 GMT+10

Andy Murray said Friday that he has withdrawn from next month's Australian Open after being unable to find to a "workable quarantine" with organizers following his recent positive COVID-19 test.

The five-time Australian Open finalist tested positive last week shortly before he was due to fly to Melbourne.

"Gutted to share that I won't be flying out to Australia to compete at the Australian Open," Murray announced Friday. "We've been in constant dialogue with Tennis Australia to try and find a solution which would allow some form of workable quarantine, but we couldn't make it work."

The 33-year-old Murray had received a wild card into the event. Reports out of Great Britain indicate Murray hasn't displayed symptoms.

Murray missed last year's Australian Open due to a career-threatening hip injury.

Murray has never won the Australian Open. He lost to Roger Federer in the 2010 title match and was defeated by Novak Djokovic in 2011, 2013, 2015 and 2016.

"I'm devastated not to be playing out in Australia," Murray said. "It's a country and tournament that I love."

Murray, a former World No. 1 player, is currently ranked 123rd. He has won 46 career singles titles, including the U.S. Open in 2012 and Wimbledon in 2013 and 2016.

The Australian Open is slated to begin on Feb. 8, three weeks later than normal due to the pandemic.

Players and officials arriving in Australia have been subject to mandatory 14-day quarantines. Tournament officials say 72 players are currently in isolation in hotel rooms for a 14-day period due to positive tests from three different charter flights.

--Field Level Media

More Dallas News

Access More

Sign up for The Dallas News

a daily newsletter full of things to discuss over drinks.and the great thing is that it's on the house!